INDIANAPOLIS – It was a vintage day of practice for T.Y. Hilton with the Colts back to work at Grand Park.
The Colts went for about 90 minutes on Tuesday morning with the full pads coming back on at Wednesday’s practice.
What did we learn at Tuesday’s session?
- No QB-Sam Ehlinger (illness, non-COVID) and WR-Parris Campbell (illness, non-COVID) at practice on Tuesday. Both guys are expected to return soon though. With Ehlinger out, it was Jacob Eason getting all the starting reps.
- Tuesday might have been the most confident and comfortable Jacob Eason we’ve seen in camp. Eason went 12-of-16 on Tuesday (including a drop from Kylen Granson), taking all the starting reps with Ehlinger out. Eason completed passes to T.Y. Hilton 5x, Kylen Granson 2x, Jonathan Taylor 2x, Michael Pittman, Nyheim Hines, Mike Strachan. A sign of Eason’s strides: he really struggled in a drill earlier in camp when the Colts offense was backed up against its own goal line. Well, the starting offense was in that situation again on Tuesday. This time though Eason was far more efficient, going 3-of-4, in a team period that has a lot of focus on making progressions. This is all part of the growth that we are seeing (and need to see) from Eason. Offensive coordinator Marcus Brady did reiterate that working on pocket presence is something himself and QB coach Scott Milanovich are keying on right now with Eason, trying to get the QB to be a little less deep with his drops. Brady also added that he saw more confidence in Eason on Tuesday. “I saw it today in practice,” the OC said. “That’s the growth of a young quarterback continuing to get reps, get that live action and continuing to get more comfortable…Today you just see the decisions were happening that much quicker. He was seeing it better and feeling confidence in himself that he knows he can play at this level, in a live situation.”
- Brett Hundley took the second-team QB reps on Tuesday. He went 6-of-8. Frank Reich did mention that he would like to get Hundley some reps in Saturday’s second preseason game against the Vikings. Sam Ehlinger is expected to start.
- Tuesday was a vintage day for T.Y. Hilton, catching 5 balls in teamwork (easily his most of camp). Hilton was toe-tapping his way through Tuesday’s practice, giving the defense fits. Even Darius Leonard had to throw Hilton a high-five after one of the sideline grabs. It was ballerina-like footwork from No. 13 on Tuesday.
- Here are Brady’s thoughts on the left tackle situation: “It’s still early,” Brady said. “We got one game under our belt….nobody has really taken the position yet. I assume that eventually, in a couple more weeks, a couple more games, we’ll have an answer for you.” Brady thought it was a mixed bag from the left tackle play against Carolina, with the group getting better as the game moved along. On Tuesday, Julie’n Davenport continued to get the starting reps at left tackle. Will Holden was at left tackle with the second team and Sam Tevi was at right tackle.
- Eric Fisher continues to do some field work off to the side. That includes some high knees and lateral movement. The Colts originally thought Week 1 for Fisher’s return was a long shot, but they have not slammed the door shut on his definite absence to start the year.
- Guys that stood out at Tuesday’s practice: QB-Jacob Eason, WR-DeMichael Harris, WR-T.Y. Hilton, CB-Rock Ya-Sin.
- The Colts had to make 5 roster moves on Tuesday to get down to the mandated number of 85. They did that with these moves: waived: TE-Graham Adomitis, RB-Darius Anderson; injured reserve: DE-Damontre Moore; waived injured: WR-Quartney Davis, CB-Nick Nelson.
- Just a reminder, another roster cut comes next Tuesday. That’s from 85 guys to 80, with 5 more being cut the following Tuesday (August 24th) and then the big one down to 53 (August 31st).
- The Colts will have morning practices again on Wednesday and Thursday, before their second preseason game against the Vikings on Saturday.
Injury Report: The following players did not appear to be participating at Tuesday’s practice: C-Ryan Kelly (elbow), QB-Carson Wentz (foot), DT-Taylor Stallworth (hamstring), LG-Quenton Nelson (foot), LB-Jordan Glasgow (back), TE-Noah Togiai, LB-Skai Moore, C-Danny Pinter (foot, in a boot), LB-E.J. Speed (knee), DL-Tyquan Lewis (shoulder), QB-Sam Ehlinger (illness), WR-Parris Campbell (illness).
Weekly Camp Schedule
-Wednesday: 10:00-11:30 Practice
-Thursday: 10:00-11:30 Practice
-Friday: Off day
-Saturday: Preseason game at Vikings (8:00 PM)
-Sunday: Off day
-Monday: 10:00-11:30 Practice
-Tuesday: 10:00-11:30 Practice
-Wednesday: 10:00-11:30 Practice (final practice of camp)