INDIANAPOLIS – Leave it to the final day of training camp for the Colts to head back inside for practice due to inclement weather.
Rain in Westfield on Wednesday sent the Colts indoors for their last practice of camp, with Carson Wentz continuing to do 7-on-7 work.
What did we learn from the team’s final practice at Grand Park?
- For a third straight day, Carson Wentz was whipping it around during two 7-on-7 periods. Wentz completed 23-of-30 passes, in a more efficient day of work. He did throw two interceptions, one on an underthrown deep ball to Zach Pascal and the other coming from a poor decision over the middle with Bobby Okereke stepping in front of Mo Alie-Cox for the pick. Wentz really has shown an ability to challenge the second level of a defense and fit balls into tight windows in that intermediate range (10-to-20 yards down the field). On Wednesday, Wentz completed balls to Michael Pittman 4x, Dezmon Patmon 3x, Kylen Granson 3x, Nyheim Hines 3x, Jack Doyle 3x, Ashton Dulin 2x, DeMicahel Harris 2x, Jordan Thomas, Tarik Black, Marlon Mack.
- In these three days of work, Wentz has thrown 91 passes in his six combined 7-on-7 periods. That’s not a number I expected at the start of the week. This is a sign of the foot responding well and the Colts feeling very comfortable ramping up the throwing reps for Wentz. Now, getting back into 11-on-11 sessions is the next step in his return.
- Jacob Eason took the first starting reps on Wednesday, going 4-of-6 for the day, and 2-of-3 in his only starting period. Eason completed balls to Jack Doyle, T.Y. Hilton, Ashton Dulin, Kylen Granson. The highlight from Eason on Wednesday came when T.Y. Hilton made a great adjustment to an Eason deep ball for a near touchdown. Hilton did fall to the ground and called for attention from the athletic training staff. After being down for a couple of minutes, Hilton got up and returned to practice.
- Sam Ehlinger went 5-of-7 on Wednesday (2-of-4 with the starters). He had one of his passes picked off on a ball that T.Y. Hilton couldn’t snag, which ricocheted into the hands of safety George Odum for the INT. Ehilnger did complete perhaps his deepest ball of camp to Dezmon Patmon, with the second-year wideout making a great adjustment to haul in the deep ball. Ehlinger completed passes to DeMichael Harris 2x, Dezmon Patmon, Michael Pittman and Marlon Mack on Wednesday.
- Frank Reich is going with Jacob Eason to start Friday’s preseason finale. But Eason’s work isn’t expected to come with many first-team guys, if any at all. Reich decided, after talking with Loins head coach Dan Campbell, that the Colts will sit many starters, like the Lions. That means the Colts will go through their 3-game preseason slate with more than half of their starters seeing little, to no, action.
- Reich confirmed on Wednesday what we’ve seen for the past 10 days or so, and that’s Julie’n Davenport is the lead guy at left tackle right now. With Eric Fisher (Achilles) still yet to practice, the expectation is Davenport will be the guy to start the season at left tackle.
- For the second straight day, it was Ryan Kelly (elbow) participating in team drills, with Carson Wentz (foot) and Quenton Nelson (foot) watching that portion of practice.
- Who are the Colts starters who practiced every day at training camp? I think the list is just these 4 guys: Jonathan Taylor, Michael Pittman, Grover Stewart, Bobby Okereke.
- After his 10-day absence due to a positive COVID-19 test, defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus was back at practice on Wednesday.
- Guys that stood out at Wednesday’s practice: WR-Michael Pittman, S-Julian Blackmon, LB-Bobby Okereke, TE-Kylen Granson.
- The final cut down to 53 players comes next Tuesday (August 31st).
- The Colts have wrapped up camp at Grand Park and will now move back to their team facility on the westside of Indianapolis. The team’s preseason finale is Friday in Detroit at 7:00 PM.
Injury Report: The following players did not appear to be participating at Wednesday’s practice: LB-Jordan Glasgow (back), C-Danny Pinter (foot, in a boot), LB-E.J. Speed (knee), LB-Malik Jefferson, CB-Marvell Tell, CB-T.J. Carrie, OT-Carter O’Donnell, WR-Parris Campbell (rest), S-Khari Willis (rest), DT-Antwaun Woods (hamstring).
Weekly Camp Schedule
-Thursday: Off Day
-Friday: Final preseason game (at Detroit at 7:00 PM)
Colts Face Anthony Richardson Playing Time Dilemma
Colts OTA Notebook Week 1: Anthony Richardson Impresses Shane Steichen
Colts OTA Notebook Week 2: Gardner Minshew Takes All Starting Reps
Does Michael Pittman Deserve Contract Extension This Offseason?
Female Drivers in the Indy 500
Colts Sign Former First-Round Pick Breshad Perriman
Is Josh Downs Ideal Complement To Colts Wide Receivers?
Bounce Back Year Coming For Kenny Moore?